How do we integrate traditional tribal beliefs?

Here is where we can suggest or discuss flair, and learn about each other if a misunderstanding develops
golly
Site Admin
Location: Hohokam / Piipaash / Apache / O'odham / Pueblo / Mexico / Arizona

Skin

Sexuality

Belief

Political

How do we integrate traditional tribal beliefs?

Post by golly »

I think that sometimes tribal affiliation and beliefs can mean that you have a religious perspective. That would constitute a really great thing to understand about an indigenous person coming to the forum. Can we and/or should have symbols for various tribes?

We must avoid the "pan-Indian" stereotype surely as we should avoid Christian stereotypes, but I only have one symbol for the cross to represent every sect under Catholicism, Orthodoxies, Protestantism and so on. I guess this is because the single core belief at the heart of all the difference is the story of Jesus, Son of God. Besides paganism or animism, which you could say I "ascribe" to, maybe there are a few other core beliefs that don't necessarily have to give qualities of a "pan-Indian" but which inform readers of specific traits having to do with Tribal identity. Maybe there could even be a symbol for "Tribe identity" or "Band identity" (not the rock kind).

Willing
Introduced

Re: How do we integrate traditional tribal beliefs?

Post by Willing »

I like this "how" question. It has integrate in it. It has do in it. It has beliefs in it. Today this seems like an existential question for the forum itself. It belies a sort of culture of "we" as in "we the wondering forum". This one is landing importantly for me today. It's wondering about who we are and what our core beliefs are about integrating beliefs. Tribal ones. Traditional tribal ones. There's a question of orthodoxy in it. What's tribal? Are we going to explore indigenous here? Hopefully so.

The other biggie for me exploring the forum today is the conflict, drama, trauma, trigger stuff. Just as the space is expanding out I am drawn to this dynamic of how we encounter one another in this space. Are we drawn to or away from each other in this space? Is this vacuous or bound up tightly? If the we of this space is bound by the dominant culture we're gonna be screwed here too. Can technology be a tool to unbound us? Can we make unity here as we explore our differences? our beliefs? How will integrate differ from assimilate?

golly
Site Admin

Skin

Sexuality

Belief

Political

Post by golly »

Good thoughts there, all of that.

I figure the only way to integrate flair items for tribal (Tribal?), indigenous (Indigenous?) and/or native (Native?) people identifying themselves would be to ask them if the flair system even works for such personal traits.

Maybe a better question is how can the flair system integrate into the full expanse of language of the forum?

OriogenSpirit
Introduced

Post by OriogenSpirit »

One does not 'integrate' tribal beliefs. Rather one becomes them. This suggests a union of conscious thought - an igniting of spirit when matters moment arises. We must be careful of the idea of tribal because, if not injected through a communal intercourse process, becomes the label of a human-kind that has nothing to do with its original intent.

golly
Site Admin

Skin

Sexuality

Belief

Political

Post by golly »

OriogenSpirit wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm
One does not 'integrate' tribal beliefs. Rather one becomes them. This suggests a union of conscious thought - an igniting of spirit when matters moment arises. We must be careful of the idea of tribal because, if not injected through a communal intercourse process, becomes the label of a human-kind that has nothing to do with its original intent.
That's deep.

Yet I meant for "integration" more the concept that those that do not have the beliefs (or maybe in your wording, have not "become" those beliefs) could recognize those who have. And all work together at this forum with some of those identities being part of the flair system. Good points, though. Not sure how to proceed with the flair system at all, actually, given it is such a limited means of "honesty".