Pandemic illnesses brought to Turtle Island

Medical care & lifestyle choices align with natural processes, including birth and death.

Integration Principle: Joining Eastern, Western and other philosophies of medicine.
golly
Site Admin
Location: Hohokam / Piipaash / Apache / O'odham / Pueblo / Mexico / Arizona

Skin

Sexuality

Belief

Political

Pandemic illnesses brought to Turtle Island

Post by golly »

The trouble of illnesses brought to Turtle Island from what is today called "Europe" is very problematic to humanity. It seems safe to say that it has caused devastation and trauma on the continent for something like a thousand years. And today we are facing another possibly manufactured form and seemingly designed (once again) to target those indigenous nations whose cultures, lands and therefore strengths have been assaulted by pandemics of the past. The indigenous populations have huge rates of obesity and diabetes and heart issues that dramatically increase the severity of corona infections.

I wanted to bring to our attention the idea that this also occurred in the 1200s with the arrival of Vikings according to a narrative I have heard. And if they arrived as Darryl suggests in the year 1000 or so, it is also within the realm of possibility that Vikings brought disease that early too.

It is said that in 1250 an endemic illness struck the Great Lakes area where Vikings were making settlement and traveled down the Mississippi, devastating the populations there.

golly
Site Admin
Location: Hohokam / Piipaash / Apache / O'odham / Pueblo / Mexico / Arizona

Skin

Sexuality

Belief

Political

Re: Pandemic illnesses brought to Turtle Island

Post by golly »

If it's true that pandemic illnesses can be caused by the body's natural recovery process after a situation that induced mass fear, then I wonder if some of the pandemic illnesses (including the small pox infected blankets insidiously gifted to Native people) could be caused by trauma literally made contagious and passed on to others.