How does art presently reflect or direct dominant culture?

Arts and ritual reflect who we are as parts of culture and community.

Nucleus Principle: Guiding possibility, expression, inspiration, and manifestation in community.
golly
Site Admin
Location: Hohokam / Piipaash / Apache / O'odham / Pueblo / Mexico / Arizona

Skin

Sexuality

Belief

Political

How does art presently reflect or direct dominant culture?

Post by golly »

Art has an important role in our society. It's so important, it seems, that there is even a high amount of personal competition for attention swept up in the creative fields. For me this isn't a concern about the existence of this. I don't accept it as inevitable either, but perhaps a strong force driven by human instincts. I am curious how the present iteration of the "artistic struggle" has developed and shapes our culture, as it is shaped by it. In what ways does it manifest problems or solutions in our society?

Willing
Introduced

Re: How does art presently reflect or direct dominant culture?

Post by Willing »

I am curious about the artistic struggle. Does the term come from "struggling artist", a term that evokes a thought about the artist's economic struggle. Does it come from the feeling when the artist faces a blank page and doesn't have a sense of how to start or move next? I feeing that I've had when struggling to know what to write on the blank page. Dominant culture seems negatively shaped by an overcoming sense of lack of support for artistic efforts unless they serve the political or economic requirement to dominate. On the other hand, the resistance to the domination system is fueled by the artistic efforts of the resistance movement. The artful way to resist requires artistic effort. The way of beauty and aesthetics is art right? Art IS culture. I learned recently that most cultures don't have a separate word for art. Apparently English needs to have a separate subject to differential what most cultures just consider living. If we make into a requirement to make money to even live, we've crushed the art of living into an economic struggle for an artificial lack. How depressing. Living is art not economics. Dominant culture turns art into purely economic activities. Another bad move by dominant culture. Let's resist it. I'm going to do more art!

golly
Site Admin
Location: Hohokam / Piipaash / Apache / O'odham / Pueblo / Mexico / Arizona

Skin

Sexuality

Belief

Political

Re: How does art presently reflect or direct dominant culture?

Post by golly »

I see a struggle you point up inherent in the word "art".

Perhaps "artistic struggle" is synonymous with "art" because art as life, life itself, is suppressed and oppressed by dominant culture.